Saturday, March 9, 2019

Finding a Song

I know many of you reading this love the music that can be found on one of those copyright free websites. But in my opinion, I really can't stand those cheesy overused songs. So that is why Raul and I decided to find music the hard way. By asking for permission.

First, I had to actually learn how to ask permission to use a copyrighted song. I came across this website. 

These are steps we had to take:
1. Find the copyright owner of the song (Use a search database such as ASCAP, BMI, and SESAC)
2. Send them a letter (We used this template to do so)

But we fell into a dead end. After going on countless websites that advertised their "free music search software" only to be sent to a $50 sign up page, I realized asking for permission was a little far fetched. The whole process is really confusing. Apparently, in order to get full permission to use a song you have to get in contact with both the writer of the song and the recorder of it. Let alone finding the correct email to contact is a maze in itself. Funny how you can find out someone's home address before finding their email. In addition, the chances that we will be asked to pay a fee once contacted back is quite high.


Here is snapshot of one of the many websites that allows you to "search for music publishers." After spending 10 minutes navigating through the website and finding the song I was searching for, I was met with this beautiful subscription message! 


Sadly, we are going to have to head to the "lame" copyrighted music scene. I'm confident I can make it work though.  Hopefully there are a couple of un-copyrighted music resources out there with music that won't make my ears bleed. So if you were looking for a hit Ariana Grande song in our opening, you might have to look the other way. 




No comments:

Post a Comment

CCR

Here is my Creative Critical Reflection!! https://drive.google.com/file/d/1Ct0SX8KJsH3UnB40P918_kil9c3ZNjit/view?usp=sharing